** Please Read the Rules BEFORE Clicking on the Very Bottom Yellow Box Which Links you to the Site to Pre-Pay **
2018 Design Excellence Awards
Call for entries: 2/12/18- 3/1/18
Competition Opens: 3/26/18- 4/23/18
Cost per entry: $125.00 during call for entry period (2/12/18 – 3/1/18)
Cost per entry: $150.00 during the competition period (3/26/18 – 4/23/18)
2018 OFFICIAL RULES OF COMPETITION (“Official Rules”)
The 2018 New Jersey Design Excellence Competition (“Competition”) is sponsored by the New Jersey Chapter of the American Society of Interior Designers (“Chapter”), located at PO Box 6865, Freehold, NJ 07728] By entering Competition and/or by clicking “I agree” below, You – the Entrant - represent and warrant that you have read, understand and agree to these OFFICIAL RULES including but not limited to, the (1) COMPETITION RULES, REGULATIONS & ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES and (2) COMPETITION ENTRANT TERMS AND CONDITIONS, INDEMNIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND RELEASE as set forth below. These Official Rules will form a binding agreement between the Chapter and the Entrant. To protect your rights, please consult with your attorney before you click “I Agree”.
COMPETITION RULES, REGULATIONS & ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES
- Call for entries: 2/12/2018-3/1/2018
- Competition period: 3/26/2018-4/23/2018
- Judging period: 5/2/2018-5/16/2018
- Cost per entry: $125.00 during call for entry period; 2/12/18-3/1/18
- Cost per entry: $150.00 during the competition period; 3/26/18-4/23/18
- If all entry information is not completed by the deadline, at 12:00 PM, 4/23/18, it will not be entered in to the Competition.
- Entrants must provide and submit the following information with their entry:
- Description of project (up to 1000 words)
- Modified project summary, 350 words, written in the third person, to be used at Awards presentation in the event the project wins
- Floor plans to scale with scale noted in pdf format
- After photos in jpeg formation 300 dpi - minimum file size of 500KB; maximum file size of 3MB
- Before photos (optional)
- Square footage of project entry
- Photographer’s name/firm
- List of Industry Partners utilized for the project
Please log in at the links below to view the Industry Partners:
NJ Industry Partners: http://asidnj.org/industry-partners/
National Industry Partners: www.asid.org
To obtain a written copy of the of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to The New Jersey Chapter of the American Society of Interior Designers, [PO Box 323, Midland Park, NJ 07432]
- All ASID members of the New Jersey Chapter in good standing and who are eighteen years old or older may participate. If the Entrant is employed by a firm or member of a team, he/she must be the primary interior designer on record for the project.
- Entrant must be the lead designer on the project to be submitted. This means that no other designer, architect, builder can claim this project as their own.
- All projects must have used at least one IP Member at the time of the project to be submitted. See link for a current list of IPs. New Jersey, National
- Only space(s) and images that have not previously won an ASID Design Excellence Award are eligible
- Images may be submitted one time in one category only. Images submitted in more than one category will be disqualified. For example: images of kitchens and or bathrooms may be entered in Residential Two or More Spaces or in Kitchens or in Bathrooms but not in both.
- Residential Single Space (excluding kitchens and bathrooms). 2-4 photos
- Residential Two or More Spaces – in residence less than 2,500 sf., 4-10 photos
- Residential Two or More Spaces - in residence 2,501-5,000 sf., 4-11 photos
- Residential Two or More Spaces - in residence over 5,000 sf., 4-12 photos, may include kitchens and/or bathrooms.
- Residential Apartment, Condo or Loft, 2-10 photos.
- Residential Small Bathroom less than 55 sf., 1-2 photos
- Residential Large Bathroom 55+ sf., 2-5 photos
- Residential Small Kitchen less than 150 sf., 2-4 photos
- Residential Large Kitchen 150+ sf., 3-8 photos
- Historic Preservation Project: registered as historic with the municipality and/or is 100+ years old and you either restored to or maintained its original essence, 2-8 photos
- Residential Show House Space: Show House spaces may not be entered into any other category, 2-6 photos.
- Design for People with Special Needs, 2-8 photos
- Commercial Single Space, 2-4 photos
- Commercial several spaces-under 10,000 sf., 2-7 photos
- Commercial several spaces- over 10,000 sf., 2-8 photos
- Retail/Showroom/Exhibit Space/Public Spaces, 2-8 photos
- Hospitality Space(s), 2-8 photos
- Healthcare Spaces-less than 3,000 sf., 2-6
- Healthcare Spaces– 3,000+ sf., 2-8 photos
- Historic Preservation Space, 2-6 photos
- Government/Institutional Space(s), 2-8 photos
C. GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION
- Entrant is not a member in good standing as per ASID National’s guidelines
- Information identifying Entrant’s name, design firm, architect or any other collaborating party appears in description, images or on drawings
- If any other designer, architect or builder challenges the Entrant’s ownership of the design, the project will be investigated by the Chapter. If evidence shows the Entrant is not the lead designer, the award will be rescinded.
- Submission of Entries which did not utilize at least one ASID Industry Partner
- Submission of Entries not including floor plans to scale with scale noted
- Submission of Entries containing elevations and/or sketches
- Submission of winning Entries and images from past New Jersey Design Excellence Award competitions
- Submission of Entry into the wrong category
- If an image appears in more than one category, both submissions will be disqualified.
- Entrant’s failure to abide by these Official Rules
D. JUDGING CRITERIA- for all categories except Residential Show House Space and Design for People with Special Needs.
- Successful entries will demonstrate exceptional design and positive impact on life and the human experience.
- Judging will focus on the following criteria:
10 pts. Effectiveness of the design solution
10 pts. Functional use of space
10 pts. Scale and proportion
10 pts. Color and composition
10 pts. Innovative use of materials
10 pts. Creativity of the design solution
10 pts. Effective use of lighting
10 pts. Use of Sustainable design principles
10 pts. Use of Universal design principles
90 pts. TOTAL
E. JUDGING CRITERIA- RESIDENTIAL SHOW HOUSE SPACE ONLY
- Judging will focus on the following criteria:
15 pts. Creativity and Effectiveness of the design solution
15 pts. Functional use of space
15 pts. Scale and proportion
15 pts. Color and composition
15 pts. Innovative use of materials
15 pts. Effective use of lighting
90 pts. TOTAL
F. JUDGING CRITERIA- DESIGN FOR PEOPLE WITH SPECIAL NEEDS ONLY.
- Judging will focus on exceptional design and positive impact on life and the human experience of people with special needs.
10 pts. Effectiveness of the design solution for special needs individuals
- pts. Functional use of space for special needs individuals
- pts. Scale and proportion
- pts. Color and composition
- pts. Innovative use of materials
- pts. Creativity of the design solution
- pts. Effective use of lighting
- pts. Use of Sustainable design principles
- pts. Use of Universal design principles
90 pts. TOTAL
- Decisions of judges are final and binding.
- Winning entries shall be announced at the Design Excellence Gala in June 2018.
- To obtain a copy of the list of Competition winners, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: PO Box 6865, Freehold, NJ 07728]
- Names of prizes are Gold, Silver and Bronze.
- There will be no more than one Gold winner, one Silver winner or one Bronze winner, except in the case of a numerical tie.
- Projects must have the minimum score in each of the awards categories to qualify.
- Total scores will range from 0-90.
- Prizes will be awarded based on the following ranges:
- 80-90: Gold
- 70-79: Silver
- 60-69: Bronze
H. ADDITIONAL RULES
1) All federal, state, and local laws apply. If any rule contained in these Official Rules (including but not limited to, the COMPETITION RULES, REGULATIONS & ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES and/or the COMPETITION ENTRANT TERMS AND CONDITIONS, INDEMNIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND RELEASE (set forth below)) is declared illegal or invalid, the remaining rules shall remain in full force and effect.
2) Chapter reserves the right to disqualify any entries that do not comply with this Agreement.
4) No failure by Chapter to take any action or assert any right hereunder shall be deemed to be a waiver of such right. No waiver of any right shall be deemed a waiver of any succeeding breach of the same or any other provision hereof.
5) It is the sole responsibility of the entrant to follow all terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules. Any entry which does not adhere to these Official Rules will be subject to disqualification.
6) If any dispute arises out of or relating to this Competition and/or these Official Rules the parties will first attempt to settle the dispute by internal discussions through good faith consultation and negotiation. If internal negotiations does not lead to a solution to the satisfaction of each party within 60 dates of the dispute arising, the controversy or claim shall be settled by arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association in accordance with its Commercial Arbitration Rules. All arbitration decision are binding on both parties.
I. COMPETITION ENTRANT TERMS AND CONDITIONS, INDEMNIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND RELEASE:
By entering the 2018 Design Excellence Competition, Entrant represent and warrants as follows:
A. Entrant understands and agrees that by clicking “I Agree”, these OFFICAL RULES (including but not limited to the COMPETITION RULES, REGULATIONS & ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES and THE COMPETITION ENTRANT TERMS AND CONDITIIONS, INDEMNIFICAITON AND RELEASE shall become a binding agreement between the Entrant and the New Jersey Chapter of the American Society of Interior Designers. The Chapter strongly suggests that you, the Entrant, review this agreement with your attorney before you click “I Agree”.
B. Entrant is the designer of this project. Entrant agrees that no other person or entity may claim this design as their own, and that Entrant has not submitted this design on behalf of anyone else.
C. Entrant agrees to abide by the judge’s decision as final. Entrant understands that any false or misleading information provided by the Entrant will result in disqualification from this Competition.
D. Chapter is not responsible for (i) late, lost, or incomplete entries; (ii) any telephone, electronic hardware or software program, network, internet or computer malfunctions, failures or difficulties; (iii) any errors in transmission; (iv) any condition caused by events beyond the control of Chapter that may cause the Competition to be disrupted or corrupted; (v) any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused by any prize or resulting from acceptance of any prize, or from participation in the Competition; (vi) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Competition. All materials submitted by the Entrant become the property of the Chapter and will not be returned.
E. Should Entrant’s design be chosen as a prize-winning award, Entrant agrees to allow (and to cause the property owner where the project is located to allow) professional photography of the winning project to be used for future marketing, promotional, public relations, or educational purposes. In addition, and except where prohibited by law, Entrant’s entry constitutes permission from Entrant to allow the Chapter, the American Society of Interior Designers, Inc. and their respective media and agency partners to use, without additional compensation, Entrant’s name(s), workplace/business information, biographical data, and likenesses for (i) publication on a Competition winner’s list; and/or (ii) for use in any Competition-related advertising and publicity.
F. By clicking on “I Agree”, the Entrant, to the fullest extent permitted by law, (i) agrees to be bound by this Agreement; (ii) represents that Entrant holds all original copyrights to the materials submitted pursuant to this Agreement (or that Entrant has obtained written permission from the copyright owner to submit these materials); (iii) represents that the submitted materials do not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, trade dress, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or other intellectual property or proprietary rights of any third-party; (iv) grants the New Jersey Chapter of the American Society of Interior Designers the American Society of Interior Designers, Inc. and their respective media and agency partners a non-exclusive, perpetual, transferable, royalty-free right and license to copy, reproduce, perform, display, prepare derivative works from, and distribute publicly all of Entrant’s submitted materials in both print and digital format for any purpose whatsoever including, but not limited to, use of such materials on third-party websites, social media, and other publications without additional compensation; and (v) agrees to indemnify and hold the American Society of Interior Designers, Inc., and Chapter and their respective officers, directors, and employees (collectively “Indemnified Parties”) harmless from and against any and all losses, claims, injuries, demands, suits, costs, expenses and damages (including reasonable attorney fees and expenses) (collectively “Claim”) that the Indemnified Parties may incur by reason of or arising out of any breach of any of my representations, my provision of false information, use of my submitted materials and/or my license grant, except to the extent that such Claim is caused by the gross negligence of the Indemnified Parties.
G. BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS COMPETITION AND/OR ACCEPTING ANY PRIZE, ENTRANT AGREES TO RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS CHAPTER, THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF INTERIOR DESIGNERS, INC. AND EACH OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES AND EMPLOYEES (COLLECTIVELY “RELEASED PARTIES”) FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL ACTIONS, CLAIMS, INJURIES, LOSSES, DAMAGES, LIABILITIES, EXPENSES OR CAUSES OF ACTION OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH AND/OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, AS WELL AS ANY AND ALL CLAIMS BASED ON DEFAMATION, PUBLICITY RIGHTS, AND/OR INVASION OF PRIVACY ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY MANNER, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY RELATING TO ENTRANT’S PARTICIPATION IN THE DESIGN COMPETITION, SUBMISSION OF COMPETITION MATERIALS, AND/OR ACCEPTANCE OR USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE.
By checking 'I Agree', I certify that I have read, understand and agree to each and every term set forth in these OFFICIAL RULES OF COMPETITION PARTICIPATION, including but not limited to those set forth in the COMPETITION RULES, REGULATIONS & ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES, and in the COMPETITION ENTRANT TERMS AND CONDITIONS, INDEMNIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND RELEASE.